October 1, 2013

Day 6: Insulation...Not!

Today was a short day, with the rest of the tear out finished up by 1 pm.

It is no surprise that the west wall of the original house has no insulation. The upside is the double layer of siding. What is surprising is that the original plumbing is under the window. Here's how my thinking went: Wow, the sink was under the window. Oh, yeah, that makes sense, why didn't I think to do that. Oh, wait, no room for a dishwasher. Oh my, or any other appliance in the whole alcove if there is one.  How used to modern conveniences I am? Absolutely! Although I do know a family member who uses hers as a drying rack after she washes everything by hand, that wouldn't be me.

Great to have the doorway into the kitchen even a few inches wider. Guess we will have to move the cabinet, it doesn't fit anymore!

Eating in is a bit of a challenge, as microwaving is not my first culinary language. I did find a way to microwave spaghetti squash that was actually done just the way we like it, al dente. Cutting the darn thing in half was downright dangerous.

My drawing table has a table cloth on it...don't want to ruin the perfectly good table top by getting food in the dried paint spatters. Once cut in half, and deseeded, water filled the bottom half and was then covered with the top half. It looked like a whole squash in the microwave. After 12 minutes on high, the softer sides indicated it was cooked. I let it sit a few minutes and very little of the water remained to be drained off. It was easy to pull the strings apart with a fork. It made a great base for the pasta sauce and meatballs from Heinens, our local grocery store. They were heated in the micro as well. Almost like normal....

No comments:

Post a Comment